Sunday, September 26, 2010

Mal's Post

Whatever will I explain on this fine evening????

Hmm...good question.

How about some throwback?

Okay, so derivatives...because I'm a little rusty on that.

Okay. So, my thing is that lately I've been noticing that every time I'm trying to take the derivative of my u in py parts, I'm actually integrating. Which isn't what your supposed to be doing. So here's a little review.

a derivative is a what?

SLOPE. Good! I'm glad we're off to a good start here...

Okay. How do you find a slope/derivative?
Well, you multiply the the variable by your exponent and then subtract one from your exponent. VOILA!!! a derivative.

So if I'm given the position equation x(t)=2t^2+5t and I want to find the velocity at t=4, what do I do? Well, I take the derivative of the equation first then plug in 4 to see just what the slope(velocity) is at that particular point. So:

my derivative equals 4t+5. Now you plug in 4.

16+5=21!!!!! Congrats!!! okay.

Now, if I want to find the acceleration, what do I do? take the derivative twice. The second derivative (hence the word twice)..

so we found the first time that it was 4t+5 was the velocity.

so the second derivative would equal what? well the derivative of 5 is 0...constant derivative=0....and the derivative of 4t is just 4...so you acceleration at any point (even t=4, 5, or 6) is 4.

Another quick review would be the following:

If I want to get back from say acceleration to velocity. what would I do? integrate.

Now I realize that I'm being redundant and reviewing probably what's the easiest things in the big mighty calculus book, but I needed SOMETHING to talk about. Love you guys!

2 comments:

  1. if you want to get from acceleration to velocity. use my little acryonym..

    P
    V
    A

    *DERIVATIVE ON THE WAY DOWN, AND INTEGRATE UP.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verifying Steph's comment:

    Position aka x aka how far you've gone
    Velocity aka x' aka how fast you are going
    Acceleration aka x'' aka how fast you are going faster aka acceleration.

    ReplyDelete