Sunday, October 25, 2009

post 10

26Another week down in calculus and we kept with implicit derivatives and started with related rates and finding the angle of elevation. All of these were easy for the most part. The most complicated has to be finding the angle of elevation. The steps for related rates are:
1. Pick out and identify all variables and equations
2. Figure out what you are looking for
3. Make a sketch and label
4. Create an equations including all of the variables
5. Take the derivative of the equation with respect to time
6. Substitute into derivative and solve for what ever you are looking for
66Related rates are not complicated untill you start finding the angle of elevation using related rates.

28Implicit derivatives are also not complicated at all. It is pretty much the same as taking a regular derivative with some small twists. The steps for this is:
1. Take the derivative of both sides like you would normally take a derivative
2. Note when you take the derivative of y by using dy/dx or y
3. Then just solve for dy/dx as you were solving for x

For what I am having problems with, I am not having the greatest success with completing every problem having to do with find the angle of elevation when using related rates to find it. But I do not have much problem at all just finding the related rates by itself. I sometimes just lose track of what I am working with. If anyone has any ways that may help me with keeping track of everything I am working with it would be appreciated.

2 comments:

  1. Use your steps.

    You first have to identify what you are Given (it helps to right them down). Then determine what you are looking for (what rate?). Sketch out what you have. Now the hard part: Write an equation involving what you have (for example: if the problem is talking about the rate at which an area is expanding: use the formula for the area being talked about). Next, take the derivative of this equation and solve for the unknown rate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To help me, I always underline in the problem what I'm exactly finding. Also, I right all the given information to the side. It helps me remember stuff like what dy/dt or dx/dt is.

    ReplyDelete