Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Exam Tomorrow

Okay, so this is probably too late, but anyway
Can anyone explain optimization to me! Tomorrow morning?...ish...maybe?
I've tried getting people to explain it but they either WON'T help me or CAN'T help me and since I missed today, I couldn't get B-Rob to help =/
I've been stressing all day..crying for the majority of the time....stressing some more...and I have finally decided that I don't care anymore. I've tried my hardest and that's that. =]
Also, these study guides are great for telling me that I have no idea what I'm doing on a lot of these and that I actually have somewhat of a clue on others...I LOVE MULTIPLE CHOICE! =] (no sarcasm)
Stay on the bright side kids.
If anyone else is terrified for this exam, reply with Aye :)


(BTW: Not meant to sound whiney, just venting...my gosh I needed that... and trying to figure out Optim.)

4 comments:

  1. If you're given a word problem, say asking for the length and with of an object with the perimiter being 120 and they want you to minimize or maximize the area.

    The first thing I've noticed with optimization is that your secondary equation is the one set equal to a number. In this case it's perimiter. The primary is the one the problem asks you to maximize or minimize.

    So once you find your primary and secondary equations, you solve your secondary for one variable if it isn't already solved for one. After this, you plug whatever you solved your secondary for into your primary, take the derivative, and solve equal to zero. This will give you a number (the answer for either the length or the with of the perimiter). You will plug this number back into your secondary equation, solving for your last answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how you did today on the exam. Anyway, I know this is a late comment but better late than never (because you will have to learn this eventually).

    Primary equation is always the equation you are maximizing or minimizing.
    Secondary is any other equation you might use.

    You use your secondary equation to solve for a variable. Plug what you get into the primary equation. Your primary equation will now be in terms of one variable.

    Now, take the derivative of that and set = to 0. Because when you take the first derivative of a function, you are finding maxs or mins.

    So now you solve for the variable and have an answer. Plug that back into your secondary to find your other variable.

    You've just optimized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, same here Ellie! :)
    And thank you Mamie and John!
    I guess I just needed to read it about 450088 times because I think you both? have explianed it before and I know Trina has a LOT! And John, I made a 38/65 on today's exam...but I'm happy I have that much and I'm actually passing the class with a B!! =]
    What about you guys?

    ReplyDelete